Logan County Tobacco & Heritage Festival is a week-long event ending on the 2nd Saturday in October. A sample of events include the Jesse James 5K, Craft and Flea Market, Free Concerts in the Square and the Parade. Please see our Schedule of Events for a complete listing of times and locations.
The Festival had its beginning in 1941, a one-day event coinciding with the opening of tobacco markets and the Christmas shopping season. Sponsored by the Russellville downtown merchants, it was conceived as an annual event but ceased after 1942 because of World War II priorities. In 1957 the Festival was revived by the Chamber of Commerce and has continued annually uninterrupted. The length has stretched from one to eight days, often with related activities before and following. The purpose of the Festival has grown from focusing attention on Logan County's chief crop and its importance to the economy to include also progress in other areas and recognition of and appreciation for our rich heritage. The name was altered in 2002 to Tobacco & Heritage Festival to reflect more accurately its overall intent. New events have been added through the years, varying in their longevity, but some have remained as traditional: The Festival Queen's Beauty Pageant, Tobacco Show, Rotary Club Pancake Breakfast, Taster's Luncheon at the United Methodist Temple, Historic Tours, Reenactment of the 1868 Bank Robbery by the Jesse James Gang and the big culminating Parade. Greatly enjoyed in the past have been the Big Show of farm and garden produce, the Colonial Tea, the Outhouse Race, and Tobacco Spitting Contest.
The Festival has become more and more a homecoming time with both planned and informal reunions of friends, family and former residents.Rightly recognized as the biggest happening of the year, the Festival continues because of the dedication and cooperation of untold numbers of citizens throughout Logan County who give their time and support to planning and carrying out the plans.
2017 Tobacco Festival Dates: Sept.28-Oct 14th!
- Sept 28th - Queen's Pageant, 7:00 pm
- Sept 30th - Logan's 225th Century & Bike Ride, 8:00 am
- Sept 30th - Little Mister & Miss Pageant, 9:00 am
- Sept 30th - Road Rally, 1:00 pm
- Oct 1st - Historic Homes Tour
- Oct 7th - Jesse James 5K Walk/Run, 8:00 am
- Oct 7th - Golf Scramble, 8:00 am
- Oct 7th - Logan County Trivia at the Public Library, 10:00 am
- Oct 7th - Hometown History Day, 2:00-4:00 pm
- Oct 8th - Thunder on the Square Car Show, 10:00 am-5:00 pm
- Oct 8th - Historic Residential Walking Tour, 2:00 pm
- Oct 8th - Gospel Singing
- Oct 10th - Taster's Luncheon at United Methodist Temple, 10:45 am-1:30 pm
- Oct 10th - Historic Residential Walking Tour, 2:00 pm
- Oct 10th - Cemetery Tours, 5:30 pm
- Oct 10th - Pet Show & Fair & Blessing of the Animals, 6:00 pm
- Oct 12th - Historic Business Walking Tour, 2:00 pm
- Oct 12th - Cemetery Tours, 5:30 & 7:00 pm
- Oct 13th - Tobacco Judging, 7:00-10:00 am
- Oct 13th - Senior Stroll 1-Mile Walk, 10:00 am
- Oct 13th - Trolley Rides on Main, 1:00-3:00 pm
- Oct 13th - Logan Library Kid's Event
- Oct 14th - Rotary Pancake Breakfast, 6:00-10:00 am
- Oct 14th - Craft Show & Flea Market, 9:00 am-4:00 pm
- Oct 14th - Concessions Vendors, 9:00 am-4:00 pm
- Oct 14th - Jesse James Bank Robbery Reenactment, 9:30 am
- Oct 14th - Festival Parade, 10:30 am
- Oct 14th - Horse & Carriage Rides, 11:30 am-5:30 pm
- Oct 14th - Kid's Bounce Zone, 12:00-4:00 pm
- Oct 14th - Karaoke, 12:30-2:30 pm
- Oct 14th - Line Dancing, 2:40-3:00 pm
- Oct 14th - Russellville Alumni Meet & Greet, 3:00 pm
- Oct 14th - Entertainment on the Square with Live Bands, 3:30-8:00 pm
Looking for Actors and Actresses to be part of the Cemetery Tours for 2017. For two nights during Festival Week, you can take a stroll through Maple Grove Cemetery. During the guided tour you will learn of the historical figures that once roamed the streets of Russellville and lived in Logan County. If you would like to volunteer for this event please call the Chamber Office for more details.